Wednesday 9 August 2006

Don't DO That!

Imagine my surprise when I saw this headline in The Grauniad today:

'No plans' for Thatcher state funeral


I'll not list all my conflicting emotions about this, but then it turned out she's not actually dead yet. Talk about a letdown.

The article concludes:

One of the few former prime ministers to receive a state funeral was Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington and a hero of the Battle of Waterloo. He died in 1852, after many years in the cabinet and a brief stint as PM. In 1965, Winston Churchill was also afforded a state funeral to honour his leadership during the second world war.


I'm not sure if anyone should be judged solely by their greatest enemies, but I make that Napolean, Hitler, Arthur Scargill... Or countries defeated: France, Germany, England.

No comments: