Wednesday 31 August 2005

Shouldn't It Be On DVD?

Jessa Crispin reviews a self-help book on how to read books. She hates it. And the next book she reads. Luckily for us she gets to write about it:
But I follow his instructions and write the titles [of books that I might be interested in reading in the future] in a notebook. Now I have to categorize them. He suggests helpful categories like "books about your next career," "books on places you plan to visit." My categories include "books that I should just admit to myself I'm not going to read," "books bought solely for the pretty cover" and "books I can't remember why I wanted to read."

She worries that a book might change her life:
I'm almost afraid that it will, and I'll be changed into the type of person who wears t-shirts that say things like "Cats . . . Books . . . Life is good!"

But this particular one definitely hasn't:
For all of Leveen's talk of how reading is supposed to be an enjoyable, enriching experience, he really did suck all of the joy out of the process. I felt like I was back in school, made to explain the turtle chapter of The Grapes of Wrath in 500 words.

No comments: