Monday 25 July 2005

How To Learn From Your Mistakes

Of course, it's so much easier to learn from other peoples mistakes, but the lesson isn't as permanent. As someone who's started to make more public mistakes I find the first step is always the hardest: Accepting responsibility makes learning possible. Knowing the feedback you're getting is honest and well-meant is a start, but I find I need to think things through from my side before I can really accept what happened and then move to change it. I think that initially there's always going to be some element of denial, even from the most open-minded, but realising your lack of perfection is often enough to start a re-evaluation.

By the way, for those wondering about the lack of posts recently, I've been ill. I'm mostly better now, but I'm not sure if I got hit with a few things at once. I've been off the fags since February and people keep telling me at the 6-8 month point your lungs decide to clean themselves up and, well, I don't want to go into details, but eeewww!

As an advance warning, I'll probably not be posting for the first two weeks in August, either, as I'll be on holiday and not too connected.

No comments: