Tuesday 14 March 2006

A Painful Truth

Via Making Light comes a compelling rant on how it does always turn out like the cliché would have it:
The saying "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger" is a lie.

The truth is this: "What doesn't kill you is going to fuck you up really bad, for a really, really long time... and you'll be lucky if you ever get it back together again."

I would disagree only partly. And that would be to say that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger is true in certain circumstances, it's how vaccinations work, as an example. And I might add that what doesn't kill you can often give you a fine anecdote somewhere down the line. But I see where Mark Allen's anger comes from and can only nod my head at his greater truth.



By the way, yes it does seem that this is a week of shorter, pithier posts cribbing from either Making Light or Robot Wisdom. I would crib more from 3 Quarks Daily, too, but because all the posts there have been great there's been nothing that I felt I could add. So if you haven't already, you should definitely give it a read today and then subscribe to their feed.

No comments: