Wednesday 7 December 2005

You're A Very Weird Person, Yossarian

Via Bookslut comes news of the annual Yossarian Book of the Year Awards. It seems that rather than fire their employees for a having a blog, Ottakars has given one of their employees official licence — and have done for 5 years, nobody tells me anything. Wisely Yossarian uses his awards to get a few digs in:
Dampest Squib of the Year
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling
So, how much fun was it buying it in a supermarket, huh?
Worst Book of the Year
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
I like Hornby’s non-fiction, I really do. He’s a great writer on inconsequential subjects – songs he likes, books he has read or failed to read – but his novels, apart from High Fidelity, leave me cold. A Long Way Down starts with four people meeting on a rooftop, preparing to commit suicide. By the end of the first few chapters I was screaming “Jump, you two-dimensional ba****ds, jump!” Sadly, they didn’t hear me.

Also, he manages to recommend lots of other books that I might have to get round to reading soon.

No comments: