Tuesday 11 January 2022

Douglas Laing's Scallywag Chocolate Edition



I was in Vienna in summer and found this Whisky shop disguised as a Teehandlung. I'd actually been looking for the shop as I'd stumbled on it before but couldn't remember the name or quite where it was. A fun way to take up an hour.

They've got a good selection. Not everything but they have the occasional bottle that Weisshaus or Expert 24 might not have. You pay a premium, of course, but not so eye-watering as some places I could mention (but won't because I be too classy for that).

I picked this up there for €60 (and I got Russell's Reserve 10 but I don't have any photos of that because it didn't last very long).

I tend to like Douglas Laing bottling's in general and this is one of three different Scallywag's that I've bought (the standard one and this year's cask strength Xmas bottling being the others). DL Whiskys that I've tried have been mostly good value and I think the master blender there has a specific thing for mouth-feel as the Remarkable Regional Malts all have a slight oilyness that coats the tongue.

I got this back to the hotel after carrying it around all day and was dying to try it. 

You would think that drinking whisky from a plastic cup, the ones they provide for your toothbrushing needs, would adversely effect the flavour, but in this case no.

Such a riot on the nose and palate. The sherry is there, but chocolate, too like on the label. Dried fruits some nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg. A big Christmas cake of a drink with a long dark chocolate finish. A surprise every time but consistantly tasty.

BONUS LEGO REVIEW

Grogu in a festive jumper. Awwwwww.

(pic stolen from FBTB.net)

 

No comments: