Legalise all drugs: chief constable demands end to 'immoral laws'
The article makes an number of good points, but it essential boils down to a Bill Hicks quote "there's a war going on... and people on drugs are winning it", the difference this time being that it's the Chief Constable of North Wales saying it (it's not reported whether he went on to do Bill's "Suck Your Own Dick Bit"). The Indy helpfully gets all the good bits ordered into a bullet-pointed list at the end, which can be shortened further to:
- Prohibition isn't working
- More & more people are taking drugs
- Classification is made to look silly by not looking at alcohol & tobacco
- "If policy on drugs is in the future to be pragmatic not moralistic, driven by ethics not dogma" then "Such a strategy leads inevitably to the legalisation and regulation of all drugs."
- British drugs policy arises from from "a wholly outdated and thoroughly repugnant moralistic stance."
- However, until we get what's needed I'll do as I'm told.