Wednesday 19 May 2004

Wing tags hinder penguins' breeding

No one knows what it's like to have a tagged wing:
Penguins breed only half as well when their flippers are tagged for research or conservation, a new study has revealed.

The French team that made the discovery think the extra drag on the flipper may impede swimming and foraging enough to drain energy, impair hunting and thereby damage breeding success.

Makes me wanna go and write a Tagged Wing Penguin Blues...

Speaking of which, I will probably doing my bit at the Blues Bakery again this thursday. I'm not sure about my billing as "The Headbanging Bluesy Englishman in Steyr", though. It's mostly the "in Steyr" bit to be honest, I mean, there's already enough qualifications in there without geographically limiting it too. It also makes me wonder if there's, like, a Headbanging Bluesy Englishman in Braunau, or Linz, or Fucking or wherever...

No comments: