Wednesday 26 May 2004

Eyesore of the Month

James Howard Kunstler's Eyesore of the Month is a fun page, and does what it says. Every month he shows some architectural disaster or other and explains what is wrong with it. I've been a bit slow in recommending this for two reasons:

1) This month he has a go at a Frank Gehry building. What he says about it is quite right, though, as far as I can tell. It's a fun building that's meant to be looked at, but less thought has been given to where it meets the street.

2) I recently started reading his book "The Geography of Nowhere" (yes, an English programmer in Austria reading a book about the problems of American towns) and if it was bad I wasn't going to link to him. Fortunately I found it fun and thought provoking. Well, it agreed with what I thought about America while putting it into a historical perspective, so it could just be that it pandered to my ego.

Anyway, Eyesore of the Month well-worth a look. If only for this example. A playground so disconnected with anything that it needs its own carpark. Bizarre.

No comments: