Wednesday 5 May 2004

This should make me happy, but...

Werewolves of London has been voted for as having the best opening lines of a song ever.

A couple of things annoy me about this. Firstly it sort of reinforces the image of Zevon only having the one song and, sadly, its all he's remembered for. Secondly, it's not even Zevon's best opening line.

I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark

Well, I went home with the waitress
The way I always do
How was I to know
She was with the Russians, too

Grandpa pissed his pants again
He don't give a damn
Brother Billy has both guns drawn
He ain't been right since Vietnam

I woke up this morning and fell out of bed
Trouble waiting to happen
Should've quit while I was ahead
Trouble waiting to happen

I went walking in the wasted city
Started thinking about entropy
Smelled the wind from the ruined river
Went home to watch TV

Some prayers never reach the sky
Some wounds never heal
They still say someday the South will rise
Man, I want to see that deal

Got a Glock in the bedside table
Machine gun leaning by the bedroom door
Kevlar vest in the closet
Well, I wear it when I go to the store

You've got an invalid haircut
It hurts when you smile
You'd better get out of town
Before your nickname expires

I was staying at the Marriott
With Jesus and John Wayne
I was waiting for a chariot
They were waiting for a train
The sky was full of carrion
"I'll take the mazuma"
Said Jesus to Marion
"That's the 3:10 to Yuma
My ride's here..."

To pick one or two.

No comments: