Tuesday 19 June 2007

Louder Than Words

Mediawatch on Football 365 nick a Sun story about Lionel Richie at some footballer's wedding or other (what I'm trying to say is that I don't habitually trawl The Sun for celebrity gossip).

A witness said: "It was really embarrassing. Toni was looking very anxious about the lads making a real fool of her. When he started singing Hello the boys started chanting back to him as if they were on the football ground terraces.

They had downed so much champagne at the reception the guests became really lairy and started shouting over his set.

In the end he asked the crowd to be quiet and said, 'I've only got two more songs, please stick with me.'"

Richie, who pocketed somewhere over 200 grand for his appearance said to somebody:
"I imagine this is what it’s like at a working men's club"

Now, I'm no particular fan of working men's clubs, especially as gig venue, but it seems to me Richie would get a good reception at one. He certainly wouldn't be have been treated as a background irritant by a load of ignorant, over-paid, narcissists who'd just necked a weeks wages worth of champagne (unless working men's clubs have changed a bit since I've been in one), he would, of course, have to cut his set short for the beef raffle and the bingo and he'd probably be introduced as "The Lionel Richie Club Band" by the stone-deaf guy whose job it is to make those announcements, but if he had a bit of luck at least the bitter would be decent.

Anyway, it seems to me that Lionel owes the working men of Britain an apology

No comments: