Wednesday 12 January 2005

So There I Was Watching Football In The Pub and Screaming: "Press X!"

Wired has noticed that sometimes when you play games for a while it takes sometime to stop thinking like the game forces you to. However, if this happens...
"I was driving down Venice Boulevard," recalled her husband, Dan Kitchens, "and Kozy reached over and grabbed the steering wheel and for a moment was trying to yank it to the right.... (Then) she let go, but kept staring out her window, and then looked back at me kind of stunned and said, 'Sorry. I thought we could pick up that mailbox we just passed.'"

... your girlfriend is pschotic. Feel free to dump her. There's a huge difference between thing "That's a bit like playing GTA" and pulling someone out of their car and riving off with it. Though the husband does try and get his own back:
"The weird thing was that last night in my half-sleep, half-awake haze, I thought I was playing Katamari Damacy, too, and I kept trying to roll Kozy up in my ball," said Dan Kitchens. "I think I got this just from watching Kozy play the game for hours."

Which seems to me that he was slyly trying to initiate some cheeky bum sex[1] and got caught out and had to come up with a story. Now that it's Wired interviewing him he's sticking to it.

Still, it is kind of true. I've been playing Pro Evoloution Soccer 4 a lot recently and when I'm watching footy on the TV I do want to start pressing buttons. The worst I had for this was when I'd played the 2 Buffy games for the X-Box and then got a new season of BtvS on DVD. It was more of a slight twitch, and the occassional thought of "nice combo I wonder how you do that?", than anything. Annoying, though.

I should note that this does not mean that I think playing violent games makes you violent. It does, however, make you think that if you do get violent you'd now exactly where to run to to pick up the shotgun, and to use that in combination with a decent longer range weapon.


[1] Thanks to The Law of The Playground for that expression. Find this and more, including strangely accurate descriptions of your major childhood trauma by people who couldn't possibly know you, at the link.

No comments: