Wednesday 27 October 2004

John Peel: RIP

I didn't really listen to John Peel as often as I should have, but always appreciated him when I did. Thanks, then, to ACME for having a good tribute to him:
Peel had his World Service show as well as the domestic ones, of course. He made us look good all around the world. Better than we are, sometimes. But exactly what you want the BBC to be doing. You hope there are people in Micronesia saying "yes, I know what they listen to in Britain: Dub Creator, Allen Shaw and The Woggles".
John Peel: I get letters from people who say "I hadn't listened to your programme for twelve years, and I was driving home the other night and heard something I thought was fantastic. I've listened every night since, and it was just how it used to be." Sometimes kids write in and say, "I was listening to your programme in my bedroom the other night when I was doing my homework, and my mum came in and said, 'What are you listening to?' I said, 'John Peel,' and she said, 'Oh, I used to listen to him when I was your age.'" It's nice being woven into people's lives in that way.

Update: No Rock N Roll Fun are linking to just about every Peel tribute on the 'Net.

No comments: